Sunday, September 21, 2008

Paul's off to the ER at Children's Hospital

Poor Paul!!

Paul is on his way to Children's Hospital with Francois. The on call nurse thinks he might have pneumonia.

Paul's been coughing for about a week now. He's been pooping quite a bit more often than usual -- and he's been looking a bit pale. He's been off enough that we ask him each morning whether he wants to go to preschool. He always says yes.

We keep sending him off because he likes it and it's easier for us, especially this week.

Today one of our friends took both our kids for 9 hours! It was a long day for Paul, but he loves going on playdates with Delphine and her friends. He went swimming. He played with lots of kids. He had a great time.

He came home exhausted, but instead of falling asleep, he curled up in a ball on the couch and started moaning. He was clearly in pain, but wouldn't answer my questions as to where it hurt. He seemed to be panting a bit and his cough wouldn't stop now. At 11pm he threw up. He fell asleep for an hour and then woke up screaming bloody murder. He wouldn't stop screaming. I thought someone was trying to kill him. He wouldn't let us look at him. He thought our eyes were scary.

He was clearly feverish now -- and panting openly. His eyes were open and panicked, even after he calmed down and clearly was ready to sleep.

The nurse on call had me count his breaths. He would keep holding his breath. When he did breath regularly for ten seconds, it was in small frequent pants.

So, now Francois will have his first trip to Children's Hospital!

The good news is that our family out of pocket has pretty much already been met this year (LOL).

Poor Paul.

The day had been so mellow with the kids out. I actually got my drainage tubes to turn completely yellow and I decreased my production by 50 ml over yesterday.

Delphine decided my chest actually looked pretty good, even with the stitches still in.

I'm pinking up a little bit, but not too much. There's nothing like a sick child to get your heartbeat up. (Sorry Dr. H!)

I don't know if I can sleep right now. I guess I should try.

I'll update you all when I hear from Francois.

No comments: