Wednesday, September 10, 2014

August for a stage IV survivor

 
 
 
I want to apologize for the hiatus.  It's been almost a month since I posted.  Well, this stage IV survivor has been busy doing....
 
 
 
















I have been feeling healthy, fit, engaged, connected and happy.  But while I was living well and my liver function, bone pain and lung function was improving, my tumor markers were doing this (normal = green and Suzy = purple):

 
 
 
So my oncologist ordered a PET scan.  And the PET scan, of course, was going to prove that the tumor markers were just a "FLARE"!  Right?
 
But that didn't work out.  Parts of my body have responded well to treatment.  Other parts, medium.  And a few tumors are growing.  More importantly, there are new tumors growing in my liver.
 
So that easy two shots in the butt scenario for years is not really going to work.  We are going to try a month of another hormone treatment.  But my cancer's reaction really concerns my oncologist, so we are going to only do this a month, and if there is no improvement, it's chemo at Halloween. 
 
BOO!
 
That's not so bad.  I've done chemo.  And this time there are so many effective options that I get to choose my preferred side effects.  I think I look damn fine without hair, so I'm going for the no nausea option. 
 
Maybe the hormonal treatment will work.  But my cancer seems, well, too damn INTELLIGENT.
 
 
How's that for Halloween scary?
 
 
But you know what?  The scary part is definitely there.  But the emotion that overwhelms me today is gratitude for  the genuine sadness and concern in the face of my oncologist.  How can any professional survive and care that much about each patient?  Dr. Tanya Wahl rocks.  And wow.  I worry about her.  As I worry about my colleagues who care that much about each of their students. 
 
Healing is important. 
 
You keep on healing people, Sayumi Irey.
 
Love to you all,
Suzy

9 comments:

Kerstin said...

Don't forget to save some hair. Also? I'm a great October witch!

Unknown said...

Uh...can you remind why you need me to save my hair?? And I am SURE you are a GREAT October witch! Love you, cuz

SerenaCW said...

I am hating that "intelligent" cancer of yours. Here's to hoping that it starts to fail a few courses next month.

Unknown said...

Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us, Suzy, and allowing us to accompany and support you through it. As always, let me know what I can do to support you -- I'm a fairly decent listener if you need an ear. ;-)I'm just a stone-throw away from your building, and I can stop by, too!

Unknown said...

You are so amazing!

Merrick Richmond said...

Looks like great summer fun and accomplishments Suzy! Wish your damned cancer would go be intelligent somewhere else.

ChezOlivier said...

It's hard to process. And I now hate charts that show purple lines traveling north - or up. Either way.

Beth said...

Yes, you look great with or without hair! My prayers continue.

Gita said...

Suzy - you are an inspiration!