Tuesday, September 23, 2014

From WHEELCHAIR to Tri-athlete in a WEEK!



On Saturday,  September 20th, I suddenly could no longer walk.  I could stand.  I could shuffle forward in one direction.  But when I wanted to change direction, I had to stand there, gathering my courage, before moving my leg to the side to make the turn.

It hurt that bad.

The idea of going down the stairs in front of our house was so painful that I thought that if I *did* call my doctors' office and they did recommend an xray, I would need to call 911 to get help getting out of the house.

And I also knew this kind of disability, with such a sudden onset (vacuuming!) would trigger a major response from the medical community.

And I didn't need more stress.

So I decided to wait and see.  I felt fine sitting on our MARVELOUS new couch.    I just couldn't move.  If I was not improved in the morning, I would call.

And the next morning, when I could shuffle walk and even change direction with only moderate pain, I decided to ...

GO SWIMMING!

I was still convinced I would need a wheelchair to do the work I'd signed up to do this week, but I thought that maybe a hospital would be able to rent me a wheelchair?  So maybe there would be a positive outcome...

I shuffle walked into Samena.  And GOD, getting my swim suit on was a BITCH.  But I got into the pool and I very gently swam...lap by lap...stroke by stroke...with care and compassion for my body...one mile.

And when I left I could walk.  Slowly.  Carefully.  A bit painfully.  But I could walk.

The SAMENA CURE!

Then I emailed my oncologist and asked whether my reaction was appropriate or not.

Apparently not.  LOL.

I knew this.

She wanted xrays and radiation and all that stuff I knew they'd ask for on Saturday (with the STAIRS in my way).

And I couldn't figure out how to SCHEDULE all of that stuff into this particular week!  I'm BUSY!  Too BUSY for cancer!

But..then I realized that this could provide a BREAK.  I am overwhelmed.  I can barely walk.  I am tired.

I can spend a few hours getting to radiation and back and take it as a BREAK.

So I did.

And now, only five sessions later... I can walk miles, I can swim, I can sleep in ANY position I want (I have been sleeping on my back at LEAST one year to avoid pain!) and I am so grateful.

My oncologist is sad.  I can see that.  She wants my cancer to be the responsive kind.  And I so adore her for her sadness.  What a genuine, present soul.  

But I am so grateful for her.

My request?  Send all of your waves of warm light and prayer and support to Dr. Tanya Wahl.    She reminds me of my social justice activist colleagues...  She works and works and works for a goal that is not clearly achievable in the near future...but she enriches all of our lives while she does so.

I am SO GRATEFUL.

Lovingly,

Suzy

1 comment:

SerenaCW said...

Love right back at you dearest Suzy. How you get yourself to do what you do amazes me. I'm so glad Samena rewards you with relief. Hugs!