Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It's been a hard day's night -- and I've been workin' like...hmmm...

I'm falling asleep in my chair, while I sit here and type. If this suddenly digresses into a lot of repeating letters and gibberish, you'll know I've nodded off.

Today was GREAT!! Yesterday too. I loved being back at work, getting back in front of the classroom.

I can reach about 3/4 of the way up the whiteboard, so that's not too bad. I don't even think students noticed that I have limited arm movement.

I had my second drainage tube removed yesterday, so I'm feeling very free and mobile. I also had a great session of physical therapy this evening and that loosened me up a bit as well.

My physical therapist asked me if I was tired, since today was my first day back. I told her that I felt like I normally do after a work day -- and that was great!

Then I started thinking about the fact that Francois now does a lot of the things I used to do for the kids and house, I only taught one face-to-face class (when I usually teach three) and I have no committee or governance duties (when I usually have a lot). So uh, I can't even IMAGINE (let alone remember) how people go that fast!! My new slow pace feels so, well, NORMAL!!

There is a lot of pleasure in the kind of complete, whole body, physical tiredness I get with this post-surgery body. It's like sinking into a deep, comfortable sleep after a long, hard day of hiking.

I'm also feeling very full of love. I'll get corny on you all tomorrow -- but I've really enjoyed the hugs, the welcome back's and the genuine concern. What a great community of people to work among.

Time to sleep now.

(Big satisfied smile!)


p.s. Fun detail! I listened for that CSI fleshy sucky sound when Dr. H pulled out my drainage tube yesterday?... Didn't happen. I'm thinking I might have made that up about the first time. Lesson? I need a fact checker. Even with my own five senses (and the extra senses too...)

No comments: