Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Chemo Time!


It's no surprise.  And we've been expecting this move since October.  So really, I've gotten three extra chemo free months.

But it's still a surprising shock to the system to have what you knew was on the horizon suddenly arrive.  It's a milepost on a journey, a marker and a reminder.  

Details?  The cancer is still the same stubborn smart cancer it's always been.  It's just that the slow creeping new tumors and growth is finally at a place where my liver could get really funky really fast.  So my oncologist suggested we "beat it down" with some chemo and then, maybe, if things go well, come back to the Affinitor to maintain for awhile.

You gotta love how she frames things!  

Let's beat this down.

Chemo won't cause me to lose my hair and I probably won't have a lot of disturbing side effects.  I'll eventually get a weird rash on the palms of my hands and feet, which is usually the side effect that ends up causing people to have to stop this particular treatment for a bit.

It's one hour of infusion every three weeks.

Tomorrow I get my chemo port put in.  Friday is my first chemo.  

I'll write more tomorrow.  Had a GREAT day with the folks at Dr. Harrington's office.


No comments: