Saturday, August 16, 2014

New to my blog? Start here.


I have been diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer.  It's everywhere.  in my lungs, bones,  and liver.    So I pretty much know how my life ends.  But I have always been one of those readers who can't resist reading the ending of a good book.    I've never found that to lessen the enjoyment of the story.  

The good news is that like all of you, I have no idea what happens in my plot line between now and that end.  And this chapter is really really good.   I look great.  I feel great.  I would even say better than ever, in many ways.  (To be honest, though, I can't remember what 20 looked or felt like.  LOL.)   If treatment options work well, I could live very well for years.  And my cancer is well researched -- there could be some really good plot twists in my future.  

A good story is all about the characters.  Rich, complex, multidimensional, dynamic characters create compelling stories.    You create my hero's journey.  You engage, confront, teach, reflect, share, learn, process, and transform.   My life is the best book I've ever read -- and I thank you all for that.

There are all kinds of very important rules at work about who can ask what about whose health.  So I am hereby giving everyone permission to ask me anything he or she wishes!   I think I'm probably pretty far ahead of you on this particular sad road.   And those of you who have been on this road yourself before already know the road is what it is.     I've explored a lot of emotional landscape -- so your feelings and emotions will most likely not trigger something new in me.   They will only honor me.    

This blog is a place where I reflect.  It's a place of introspection -- and sometimes catharsis.  It feels somber and slow,  heavy, when I compare it to my life as I live it.   So you may also want to track me on Facebook.  But the interesting thing is that I'm not posting to Facebook as often recently.  Facebook feels too light.  There is a heaviness to my happiness now that I find centering and fulfilling.  It settles me, contents me, in real life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Suzy,

we're in Mayotte right now following your blog.
We keep thinking of you and what you're going through. You're very strong and fought this battle once already, you're an example for all of us.
Hoping to hug you as soon as possible.

Bisous,

Pascale, Etienne and Victor

Unknown said...

What a gift your 'open book' is- to you and to all of us who care about you. We'll all be anticipating a bitchin' plot twist - something we can't even imagine right now, but with a sci-fi feel to it perhaps.

See you soon,
Tonya

Jennifer said...

Hello, hello, Suzy! Just getting hooked into your blog and not surprised to see you soldiering on. Can we plan a coffee date before school gets you locked in?

Jennifer