Sunday, June 29, 2014

Scans, Pain and Plans


Tuesday  -   2 MRI's to get a look at the most threatening bone mets, especially that vertebrae.

Wednesday Morning --  A PET scan from skull to thigh to get a more detailed look at the mets.   I think they'll peek in my brain.  This scan seems very fascinating.   I promise to update everyone once I get back.  No exercise 48 hours before the scan.  No carbs 24 hours before.  No food 12 hours before.  And no mental stimulation right before the test -- including no reading and no chatting with friends! I think they might be trying to reboot me?  :-P   I think they will look at my brain, though.  Kinda scary thought there, but I'm not obsessing.

Wednesday  Afternoon --Fulvestrant infusion to block estrogen uptake and Zoledronic Acid in the butt to keep bones from losing calcium, thus crowding out cancer.

Thursday - Liver biopsy   Here is where we all hope for that old 2008 cancer and not some new variety.  Apparently I get happy drugs for this procedure.

Pain --  Seeing the bone scans and knowing my pain corresponded to cancer changed my experience of my body's pain.  Suddenly the aches and pains I associated with getting old and out of shape became sirens announcing my mortality.   But then, I swear to you, after seeing my oncologist my pain intensified.  My rib started burning - and then suddenly quieted.  Opening heavy doors or lifting grocery bags made my back scream for a couple of days -- and now...nothing.  Today, my chest plate is screaming and burning.

Here is what I found that gives me hope:

"All hormonal therapies can cause a "flare" reaction shortly after they are started. This is a temporary increase of pain or increased calcium levels in the blood as the tumor reacts to being starved of what it needs to grow. Although uncomfortable, the flare reaction is a sign that the treatment is working. About two out of 10 women have this flare reaction, which pain medicines can help relieve. Symptoms usually occur within the first month of treatment and go away within two months."  -- from http://breastcancer.org 

I started hormone therapy the day I saw my oncologist.  
DIE you sucker cancer cells -- DIE!  Brrwwaaahahhhahhaaa   (evil Suzy laugh)




3 comments:

Unknown said...

walkin' the walk with you, my touchstone

Unknown said...

walki' the walk. you are my touchstone

SerenaCW said...

"Hoping" they'll find the old crap today and that they've got good drugs for you. Keep killing the cancer. Hugs!