Thursday, January 22, 2009

Blogging again?

I think I finally have some new stuff to say.

Chemo was, well, just getting old and boring. I mean, how many people really want to know all of the ways a body can recoil at poison?

I have a colleague at work who talks, well, as much and as fast as I do. I respect her and the work she does immensely. But sometimes, well, you know. Sometimes one just gets over-verbalized.

It's amazing how quickly you can cut a conversation short when you start explaining exactly how the gag reflex works after chemo...

Plus, I'd found a 'new normal' as one of my cancer-family friends puts it. I was busy being social. God I've been happy.

OK -- Quick Medical Update:

Chemo 4, just before Christmas, went pretty well. Just the usual unpleasant body-wants-to-gag feeling for about a week. I can smell the chemo in my body and I keep coughing up globs of chemo smelling goobers. (Hey, I didn't promise you any protection from TMI!!) It kept me mellow on our 14 hour snow drive to Eugene (That trip usually takes 4 1/2 hours). Because Francois worked out with me almost every day, I built my strength back much more quickly and ended the cycle very physically strong.

Chemo 5, on January 8th, knocked me on my butt. My body is clearly getting worn down by this process. It was like getting hit by a truck of fatigue. My eyelashes and eyebrows finally gave up and are bailing fast. I've got a newt-like look going on. I swell up easily and can gain 5-10 lbs overnight. It doesn't help that I'm moody now and prone to binging (chocolate, salty chips, ice cream). I'm gaining weight, overall, and that's not a good thing. Plus, I'm having a hard time refinding my stamina. I'm making 1600 meters in the pool each day by just staying there until I'm done, not by getting any real endurance going.

Lymphedema -- I've been officially diagnosed with lymphedema. I need to do exercises and physical therapy, maybe forever. I need to wrap my arm in bandages. I need to learn how to keep those bandages clean!! Argghhh. The bandage I have on my hand gets dirty FAST and with the crying (tears of joy) on inauguration day, I touched my face once too many times and gave myself an eye infection. So I'm an infected newt.

I feel good right now, as I have just entered week 3 of my chemo cycle. But I look, uh BAD -- swollen, dried out, infected, bald and eyelash/eyebrow-less.

So now, when people see me and exclaim, "You look GREAT!!" I realize that they were expecting me to look like I was on my deathbed. Ha ha. Hmmm...

I had a dream that a guy from work became my, well, I don't know, 'gender' guide. He was leading me on a trip/retreat and helping me find a redefinition of my sexuality. It was some guy at work I've never dreamnt about nor thought about much, but he's someone who seems very integrated in terms of how his inner and outer selves express themselves.

Radiation: I'm not going to do radiation. I did a lot of research and consulted a lot of people, both survivors and doctors. In short, the studies that say radiation improves survivability for my stage cancer don't address my particular type of cancer, 100% estrogen positive. That makes my cancer extremely responsive to hormonal drug treatments. With my lymphedema already a known factor, there's really no benefit to outweigh the very documented risk of worsening my lymphedema. So, uh, after this last chemo...I'll get my port removed and be DONE!!!

(Except for the lifetime of hormone drugs and the lifetime of lymphedema management)

Funniest thing I learned in December? Silicon based sexual lubricant is DAMN SLIPPERY if you get it on the bathroom floor.

Whhheeeeeeeuuuuuuuuppppp.

BOOM.

(ow)

3 comments:

SerenaCW said...

Feeling any better today? I'm so glad that you are blogging again, now I've just got to remember to go check out your site!

The final days before the final chemo -- soon this chapter in the book will be over.

Much much love,

Serena

sass. said...

lol, oooooh wow, i think i could have lived with the last couple of lines there hahaha.

...hahaha. things i never thought would cross my mind... thanks a lot suzy!

it's weird that you're still blogging. well, weird that i'm reading it. you are a writer afterall, you write. it just brings back a lot of old memories. even just logging into my account here, reading the things that stood out the most on my old blog... wow. it's been so long mrs. lepeintre... so long.

and of course the initial (or i suppose somewhat sustained) shock of you having breast cancer. not something i would have expected for you (and i'm sure you did, right?), but you seem to be handling it just like i figure you would. you were always good at looking at the lighter side of life.

though, like you, i won't shy away from the truth: you don't look great, lol. relatively, yeah, you look great, i mean, you're not dead, right? but it is a surprise to see you without your long locks of blonde hair, the weight you've lost... i think what looks great isn't necessarily your looks. i think it's your attitude about it all, which in turn, i believe (that the mind has immense underrated strength and can affect our physical selves), helps you look better than you would otherwise. if your disposition was less than positive.

anyways... i think it'd be great if you read this, and then maybe thought of something to say, and then maybe said it, and then maybe i'd read it (or hear it, as the case may be), and then i'd feel inclinded to respond, so on and so forth. we could call it talking for short. to be honest, i don't think i've ever quite connected with anyone like i did with you. you, your english classes, the way that english 101 was so much more, that it was a conduit to discuss the world in which we live in, philosophy, ethnology, sociology, the humans, the persons right in front of us and the way we connect and interact with them... the truth, or perhaps the lack of truth or a definite answer, or at least the pursuit of truth, i think that's what i miss most, out of all the years and all the credits i have amassed.

sure, i liked, even loved other classes. but none engaged me like yours, and i didn't connect with any of the instructors like i did with you. none challenged me as much. none made me come to a point where i couldn't find the answer, or even a trace of a definite, absolute truth. none stilled my brain with awe at the complexity and profoundness of the human race quite like yours seemed to do.

but i digress. haha, not really, i just wanted to say that. i'm pretty sure that was the main point anyways, or at least it became the main point quite quickly. i do want to go back to school though, and i would love to be under your tutelage again. i know you're not teaching this next quarter, or at least any english 101 classes... well, i don't know anything for sure i guess. maybe you know though. in which case... you should tell me, so then i can know, hehe.

until next time, i guess...? i.e., i probably need to end this eventually, so might as well be now.

-sass.

Suzy said...

Hi Dave --

I love your comments!

When my eyelashes and eyebrows fell out, I picked up an eye infection. I looked like some sort of diseased newt. But people still told me 'Gosh, you look great Suzy!' ...and that's when I realized 'great' meant, just as you termed it, 'not dead'.

Thanks for writing on my blog! Maybe you can jolt me into writing in it again. Cancer was such a ride at the beginning and now it's just, well, normal and tiring.

You, Dave, look GREAT. I'll try to pick up an English 101 this summer. Maybe one that meets once a week and does the rest of the work online?

Take care --

And keep writing!
suzy